3 Easy, Healthy Snacks for Summer
It can be hard to eat well when in a senior living community in Peoria, AZ. Not to worry, we have 3 easy, healthy snacks for summer in this article.
One of the best parts about calling the Mission at Agua Fria home is access to restaurant-style dining daily. Three chef-prepared, nutritious meals provided every day help our residents stay on track with their health and wellness.
Senior living in Peoria, AZ, also comes with the perks of great weather year-round and fun things to do in the area, especially in the summer. Many of our residents living in our private apartments enjoy making healthy snacks to take on the go, to savor with friends, or to cap off the evening after a full day of activities.
The following are three healthy snacks you can easily make at home to help fuel you through your fabulous summer:
1. Homemade Microwave Popcorn
Hosting a game or movie night with friends? Headed out to enjoy the 570 acres of public parks in the Peoria area? Consider this quick, healthy, portable snack option. If you’re making it for a group, you can even offer a seasoning bar full of choices to create a wide variety of combinations to keep everyone happy and coming back for more.
Popcorn is a whole grain, so it’s high in dietary fiber and heart-healthy. It’s also full of disease-fighting antioxidants and low in calories.
Things you’ll need to make this:
- A large microwave-safe bowl and plate
- Unpopped popcorn kernels
- Toppings such as butter and salt, if desired
- Scoop ¼ cup of kernels into the bowl. Put the plate on top of the bowl. Make sure the plate fits snugly on top to trap all the steam in the bowl.
- Put the bowl and plate in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes and 45 seconds, or until you no longer hear popping sounds.
- Remove the bowl CAREFULLY from the microwave, as it will be hot.
- Sprinkle on your choice of seasonings.
Aside from the traditional pairing of butter and salt, other toppings that go great with popcorn include Parmesan cheese, hot sauce, Ranch seasoning, onion powder, seasoned salt, garlic salt, chili powder, and cinnamon sugar. Switch things up and enjoy!
2. Yogurt Parfait
When things heat up in the summer, nothing is more refreshing than cool, juicy fruit and creamy yogurt. To make a parfait, spoon a layer of your favorite yogurt into a bowl or a sundae glass.. Add berries, sliced bananas, chopped peaches, mandarin orange slices, nuts, granola, chocolate chips, or whatever strikes your fancy for your next layer. Add another layer of yogurt. Keep alternating layers of ingredients until you’ve used up all your yogurt. Chill for at least an hour for the best results!
3. Oatmeal Cookie Dough Mug Cake
After a full day of enjoying the sights of the Sonoran desert or exploring the area’s museums, head back to your senior living community in Peoria, AZ, and treat yourself to a little healthy sweetness that satisfies your craving for cake without the guilt!
You will need:
- 1.5 Tbsp of coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp of quick oats
- ¼ tsp of baking powder
- 1 Tbsp of brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 Tbsp of chocolate chips or raisins
- Mix the first 3 ingredients together in a coffee mug.
- Add sugar and milk. Stir to break up clumps.
- Add egg white. Whisk into the batter with a fork.
- Stir in chocolate chips or raisins.
- Microwave on high for 1.5 to 2 minutes. If more time is needed, cook for an additional 30 seconds at a time until you get your desired consistency.
Senior Living at Its Best!
If you’re considering your options for senior living in Peoria, Arizona, come see why the Mission at Agua Fria is the choice for so many. Take a look at our outstanding amenities and unique programs that can meet the needs of your family, then contact us to arrange a tour. We’d love to show you around your new home!