Back to Resources

Can I Use VA Assistance for Assisted Living?

One of the concerns an older person might have when considering assisted living is the price tag. Living comfortably on a fixed income can be difficult to do without assistance, and this can cause some anxiety when researching assisted living communities in general.

The good news is that BridgeWater Assisted Living communities have been developed with a federal tax-credit program. This means that we can help with additional financial aid for those who need it.

We firmly believe that every older adult deserves a great retirement and the best care we can offer. This is especially true for our veterans. We want to honor our residents who have served their country—let us serve you as you have served us.

Here at BridgeWater Assisted Living, our goal is to help walk you through any problems, such as these, that may arise. If you’re receiving VA Assistance or other pension benefits, you may certainly use them to pay for your assisted living experience. Our community benefits advocate can help parse out documentation and applications or research what additional resources might be helpful to you—contact them at 602-281-9535 for their assistance.

For more detailed information as to your veteran’s pension benefits, or any other programs or qualifications, the US Department of Veterans Affairs is an excellent resource.

Work with Someone You Trust

When speaking with representatives about your benefits, be sure that you know who you’re speaking to and that they’re an accredited VA resource before handing them any sensitive information. There are many VA-accredited representatives, attorneys, and agents available through the Department of Veterans Affairs who may help you file a VA pension claim free of charge. The sad truth is that there are plenty of scammers who don’t have your best interests at heart. If your representative asks you for money, they may not be accredited after all.

Another thing to be cautious of is if the agent you choose wants to move your assets around, if they want to misrepresent your situation, or if they charge you fees for filing applications. Fortunately, there are ways to be absolutely sure your money and situation will be represented correctly: simply locate an accredited representative on the VA Office of General Counsel website.

If you are, instead, the surviving spouse of a veteran, we have you covered too. You may qualify for special financial assistance if you don’t have the financial resources to cover your daily care in assisted living. The Department of Veterans Affairs has a program called the Aid and Attendance Pension benefits that you may be able to use.

We know how difficult it can be to be married to a veteran—pulling up stakes to move with them every few years or spending long deployments apart—and we want to honor your service as well. Contact our community benefits advocate to start the process today.