Back to Resources

Surviving Spouse Can Receive Veteran’s Benefits for Assisted Living

At BridgeWater Senior Living, we appreciate the brave men and women who have served our country with honor. We’re here to help you through every step.

Whether you’ve always been a civilian or you’ve served our country honorably, paying for assisted living can be costly. Specialized memory care, assisted living, or even a simple independent living situation might be just out of your reach. You may have visited or researched other senior living communities and been stunned with sticker shock at the price tag attached to it.

Fortunately, BridgeWater Assisted Living communities were developed using a federal tax-credit program directed to help folks whose budgets seem too tight to allow for this kind of retirement. This tax credit allows Arizona’s seniors a senior living option that fits their income, without the sticker shock. In addition, the funding from the state gives BridgeWater the flexibility to provide reduced rents to our income-qualified residents. Our mission is to give every older adult the retirement they deserve and to provide the care they require, and that includes being a resource for those who might have a limited income. These resources are not only applicable to you if you’re a veteran, but also if you’re the surviving spouse of a veteran.

Veteran’s Benefits

If your significant other was a veteran, you may qualify for veteran surviving spouse benefits in your assisted living situation. The Aid and Attendance pension benefit from the Department of Veterans Affairs runs this program. The Aid and Attention pension is a tax-free benefit that pays each qualified individual on a monthly basis, which may provide some relief and/or free up some breathing room in your tight budget.

The VA can give you more detailed information about veteran pension benefits, programs, and qualifications, whether you or your spouse is the veteran in question. One thing we like to remind our residents and future residents about is that there are many VA-accredited representatives, agents, and attorneys who are available to help you file a VA pension claim free of charge. You don’t have to do this alone.

One note: Be cautious of potential scams. It’s a sad fact that there are people who prey on older adults. These people won’t have your best interests in mind, even though they appear to speak with authority. Representatives who want to move your assets around, misrepresent your position, or charge fees for filing an application are scammers and can take advantage of you. When in doubt, you may write to your Pension Management Center that serves your state, visit your local regional benefit office, or find an accredited representative on the VA Office of General Counsel website.

Here at BridgeWater, we also have Community Benefits Advocates who can assist you with additional resources. Give us a call at 602-281-9535, and we’ll connect you. We want to be sure you have complete confidence in your move, whether it’s to assisted living, independent living, or memory care. Have a question? You have only to ask.